Thursday, November 12, 2009

Post-Op - Day 1

Everyone told me that the second day was going to be really rough. I was prepared to be in bed all day, taking my ultra-strong (and after Internet research, highly-addictive) Norco pain medication and sleeping.

The first day post-op ... well, it really wasn't that bad. I was sore. I moved pretty slowly. My appetite still isn't completely there. But that was it. By about 10:30 a.m., I have to admit that I was slightly bored.

My mom flew in from Sacramento to help out for the next week. With Campbell as busy as a bee and Mike even busier with work, she's taking time out of retirement to help a broken daughter. From running small errands to pick up more ice for my ice compressor thing, to driving me to DMV and helping get me to the front of the line for a temporary handicapped placard, it's nice to have her here. We'll start driving each other crazy tomorrow.

As for recovery - I've been able to bend my leg a bit more as the brace is locked so I can't fully straighten. Gravity is definitely not my friend. The bone soreness returns every moment I attempt to move the leg up, and then subsequently place it on the floor.

I found a blog/forum that's made me realize that I probably should have done a bit more research into the pros and cons of ACL reconstruction with allograft before committing. I suppose there's a right path for everyone. I'd like to think that my ortho surgeon - also a skier who takes off multiple weeks in the winter to ski in Europe - would recommend the best for my activity level and obsession with sliding on two sticks down the mountain. At least, I hope so. Only time will tell.

Oh, and I braved a shower today - to which everyone in this household is thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment