Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Surgery day

I've never been broken before. So I've tried to equate it with something I understand. You know when you take your car in to get something fixed for the first time? When you get it back from the dealer or shop, it just isn't the same. That's what I'm worried about. That I'm not going to be the same. I already know that - but it didn't exactly hit me until this morning.

Mike dropped me off at 7:30, got Campbell to school and by the time he got back - I was already in pre-op. Had to change into one of those completely unflattering gowns, get sticked for an IV and wait. They let Mike come back to hang out with me prior to wheeling me into surgery. Thankfully, he brought his computer and my phone. He worked. I surfed. It passed the time.

While in pre-op, I was visited by person after person, nurse, PA, anethesiologist, etc. etc. It was a party in my little area. Dr. Watson came by to say hello, see if I was ready and then marked my leg. I was disappointed he didn't mark a "This End Up" arrow like Mike. But happy he worked on the right one.
(Yep, completely unflattering)

And then, it was time to go. They had given me some drug to relax me prior to the anesthesia, so I don't exactly recall how I got to the OR. Once in the OR, I remember they were listening to music (sadly, not Roger Clyne) and they were all pretty happy - maybe that's how surgeons help you get comfortable, who knows. They gave me an oxygen mask and started pumping me with whatever was going to knock me out. I remember coughing. And that was that.

Then I woke up. I wasn't in a lot of pain, it was just throbbing at the top of my tibia (or fibula, not sure which). I didn't realize at the time, but they fastened the "new" ACL to my bone. Ouch. The post-op nurse - who told me his name as I was barely conscious, so I have no clue what he said - gave me something to help with the throbbing and said that if I needed more in 10 minutes, I could have more. About 40 minutes and numerous power naps went by before I realized I hadn't had any additional pain drugs. I wasn't planning in trying to be superwoman through this.

When Mike came back, I got the download. Turns out, my ACL was completely blown. But Dr. Watson didn't see anything wrong with my meniscus, so there was no meniscus repair. That made me pretty darn happy. It means that I'll be able to recover a bit quicker than if the meniscus needed to heal. I suppose if there was a silver lining, that was it.

After a few hours in recovery, a few doses of some pretty strong drugs, and repetitive questioning because I couldn't remember what I had or had not already asked Mike and the nurses - they let me go. Mike set me up in the spare room (read: TV) with pillows, my computer, the cryo pump and the latest issues of Ski and Skiing. Yep, all the necessities.

Mike's parents came over and took Campbell out to dinner. The little guy was concerned for mommy's "owie" when he saw how large my knee brace makes my leg. Mike had a talk with him after picking him up from school - and for once, I think Campbell listened to daddy!

So I've been told that it's okay to start bearing weight on the leg. One step at a time. It hasn't been all that easy to move, period. Not sure exactly how this whole weight bearing thing is going to pan out. All I know - this first night is going to be tough.

2 comments:

  1. Be strong, lady. You are going to be good as new before you know it. It was so great seeing you this last weekend... we need to have our "upside down" dinner party once you are on the mend. XOXO, Laura

    ReplyDelete